The Power of Effective Communication

Anything you know and you would like to share out. Please put here and we will categorize your article later.

The Power of Effective Communication

Postby Chris » Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:08 am

Source : Die-CuttingWorks / Author : Kevin Carey

One of the most sur­pris­ing and yet con­sis­tent break­downs in Diecut­ting & Diemak­ing oper­a­tions is a fail­ure to com­mu­ni­cate effec­tively at every level. This is par­tic­u­larly notice­able on the shop floor where the con­tin­u­ous gen­er­a­tion of prob­lems, research, learn­ing, inno­va­tion, test­ing, solu­tions and team­work, set against a volatile sched­ule, demand a coop­er­a­tive focus. It may be most man­agers are famil­iar with and accept Zymur­gys First Law of Evolv­ing Sys­tem Dynam­ics: “Once you open a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is to use a larger can.”

Unfor­tu­nately, avoid­ing the poten­tial com­pli­ca­tion of com­mu­ni­cat­ing with work teams and indi­vid­u­als may elim­i­nate a short-term chal­lenge, how­ever, this approach builds resent­ment, frus­tra­tion and scar tis­sue. It is dif­fi­cult to see how per­for­mance, pro­duc­tiv­ity, and process improve­ment goals can be met with­out an ongo­ing ener­getic dia­logue between all of the par­tic­i­pants. Most orga­ni­za­tions seem blithely igno­rant of the prob­lem as George Bernard Shaw noted; “The prob­lem with com­mu­ni­ca­tion … is the illu­sion that it has been accomplished.”

Good com­mu­ni­ca­tion is not just an up-down dis­ci­pline, but is also a lat­eral dis­ci­pline, and the dia­logue between indi­vid­u­als in teams and within depart­ments is equally crit­i­cal. How­ever, if the man­ager or super­vi­sor is not actively and reg­u­larly involved in com­mu­ni­ca­tion with the teams he is respon­si­ble for, how can he or she remove bar­ri­ers, break­down inhi­bi­tions, and pre­vent dis­putes and rela­tion­ship prob­lems? Man­agers and team lead­ers must allo­cate suf­fi­cient time each week to reg­u­larly com­mu­ni­cate with every­one on their team. The reac­tion to this rec­om­men­da­tion is usu­ally “I am too busy and I don’t have the time to do that.” Too busy doing what? As time passes and orga­ni­za­tions atro­phy most man­agers and super­vi­sors lose sight or are deflected from their pri­mary lead­er­ship mis­sion. “Com­mu­ni­ca­tion is the real work of leadership.”

It is strange that one of the most basic and crit­i­cal paths to suc­cess in every human activ­ity is rarely imple­mented with prac­ticed care. The assump­tion that every­one is an effec­tive com­mu­ni­ca­tor and an atten­tive lis­tener, with­out train­ing, prac­tice and feed­back is a strate­gic weak­ness that con­tin­u­ally under­mines pro­duc­tive goals. We for­get that every busi­ness is pri­mar­ily a social orga­ni­za­tion, built around and upon coop­er­a­tive rela­tion­ships. And rela­tion­ships begin with and are nour­ished by open and respect­ful communication.

This is not a dif­fi­cult chal­lenge, how­ever, it may feel uncom­fort­able until you gain expe­ri­ence. The job of a Man­ager or a Super­vi­sor is to stim­u­late pro­duc­tive change by engag­ing in an enthu­si­as­tic dia­logue with all those who work with him or her. Man­agers need to ask sim­ple ques­tions to stim­u­late con­ver­sa­tion, dia­logue and feed­back. “Where are we now? What are the obsta­cles and prob­lems you are fac­ing in accom­plish­ing your work? What changes would you rec­om­mend to improve per­for­mance? What can I do to make you more successful?”

If you are really deter­mined in devel­op­ing a World Class Diecut­ting or Diemak­ing oper­a­tion start each work­day with a short dis­cus­sion about goals and objec­tives and fin­ish with a post­mortem dis­cus­sion about prob­lems and oppor­tu­ni­ties.“Com­mu­ni­ca­tion can’t always fol­low the top-down model. With the flu­id­ity of infor­ma­tion in busi­ness today, lead­ers need to be mas­ter­ful lis­ten­ers; they need to be able to receive as well as send.” Badaracco.
Chris

Return to Knowledge Base